Monday, June 11, 2007

Procrastination



I'm blogging when I should be writing. I did write tonight, for 2 hours. Then I got distracted and went online. That's what happens when the laptop you use to write in also has Internet access. I got four pages done, but they're really only half-pages in that I write some stuff as it should properly appear and then the rest is in note form, so I suppose it doesn't really count. I guess I should get back to writing. Although now I feel like making something to eat.

I have made up my mind that tomorrow I am going to walk downtown and pound the pavement to see if anyone is hiring. I've applied for too many jobs online that have never gotten back to me. I've decided to try the tea shop that came to town a year ago. It's really cute. They serve all kinds of tea, scones, and cookies. They even do a high tea with finger sandwiches. Now with tourist season in full swing, maybe they need more help. I'm also going to try the local independent bookstore. Last week I stopped in to inquire about job openings, but the manager wasn't in, although the bookseller who helped me gave me the manager's card and said I could email my resume to her. So I did. She emailed me back the next day and said that they currently have no openings but they'll keep my resume on file. Of course they all say that. But when I went to the store on Saturday for the bookreading (see previous post), the manager was in. I heard her talking to the really young girl who was also working there and who was obviously a new hire (given the trouble she was having with a customer's special request). The manager was saying something along the lines of "It would be great to keep you on, but you'd have to work every Friday, Saturday and Sunday," and "Of course it's a wonderful opportunity, you should take it." Could this be my big break? So soon? Is the New Girl already flaking out on her boss and quitting? Hire me instead. I'm like, twenty years older than this girl. I have no wonderful opportunities looming. I'm reliable, have previous retail experience, and am just jaded enough to realize that I no longer have the world at my feet. Give me a job that I enjoy and that I can do well, without deadlines or corporate bosses from hell. That's all I ask.

I used to write in my spare time before I moved from New York to Massachusetts. Even when I first moved to where I live now, I was still writing. Not selling anything, mind you, but that's beside the point. The fact that I was writing gave me something to be optimistic about. Like I was doing something. But when I started my most recent job, all that changed. I worked nine-hour days with an hour commute each way. The commute wasn't the problem. I used to commute 90 minutes each way when I worked in New York and I didn't mind it. But back then I was able to do a little writing in the evening after I ate dinner, and managed to go to bed at 11 pm, often treating myself to some television-watching time and stay up until midnight. At my most recent job, I got home at 7:30 and was in bed by 10 pm. I just couldn't stay up any later than that, I was so exhausted mentally and physically. So of course writing went out the window. That job killed my creativity. For two-and-a-half years, I wrote nothing at all. When I got fired, I threw myself back into writing, as well as reading for pleasure (another interest that I sacrificed) to give me something to do. If I can continue to read and write for pleasure, and have a job that I enjoy that's 10 minutes away by bus from my apartment, life would be perfect.

There, I've wasted another twenty minutes writing this post. I really should get back to writing. Or maybe I'll read instead. Although I am still hungry...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nowhere,

What type of writing are you doing? Are you writing a novel or short stories or something else?

Goldy

Nowhere Girl said...

I'm trying to write a novel. I think I'm about 25% done with my first draft, which sounds like I've written enough so far that I will be able to see it through to completion and not abandon it!

Steerforth said...

Try and arrange a meeting with the bookstore manager. That always makes a difference. If you want any tips about what bookstore managers are looking for, I'd be happy to help.

Nowhere Girl said...

Thank you, Steerforth, I would appreciate any advice you could give me as to what bookstore managers are looking for. I'm sure my telling the manager "I love books" is a good start, but not enough!

Anonymous said...

Ever think about posting some excerpts on your blog? I for one would love to read them.

Nowhere Girl said...

No. To do so would reveal to all who read them what a geek girl I really am!!! But that's very kind of you.

Steerforth said...

'I love books' is always good. What gets my alarm bells ringing is when people say how 'relaxing' it must be working in a bookshop. It's hard work and the people who are aware of all the negatives but still want to do it always impress me.

Stress how flexible you are about your working hours. That's always a winner.

Don't be negative about your last job. It might have been awful, but no manager wants to think that you're only applying for a position because it's the lesser of several evils.

Talk about what you read, but don't mention Terry Pratchett (just to stay on the safe side, as he's an acquired taste)

If you really want to impress, although this might be too cheesy, emphasise that you know how hard it is running a bookstore and how you'd like to support the manager. It sounds too crass and obvious, but I bet it works!

Don't, at any point, say how good the job would be for you. Take the JFK approach - it's all about what you can do for your bookstore, not what it can do for you.

They need you, not some 17-year-old who thinks that Styron is an enemy of the Teen Titans.

If someone who writes a blog as interesting and thoughtful as yours has trouble finding a job, then there's something wrong with the world.

Nowhere Girl said...

Thank you for the sage advice. You are so cool!

I really appreciate your advice, and will definitely do as you suggest. In particular I will not mention Terry Pratchett, hard as it may be for me. Although, considering that this store carries only two of his books (one copy each, I have to buy my Terry Pratchetts elsewhere!), I can see that you have a point.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again!