Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pick a Card



I had a tarot reading today at one of Salem's many psychic/new age stores. Ordinarily I'd be highly skeptical of tarot readers and self-proclaimed psychics, but there are certain places around town that have been in operation for years. They have good reputations, are active in community events, and are proponents of requiring licenses for anybody who wants to set up shop as a psychic in Salem. If you live in Salem, you have to get a reading at least once. At the very least, "for entertainment purposes only."

The tarot card reader started off by telling me about work. He said there is a new opportunity that will present itself no later than the end of September, and that it will be a positive thing. That's good news. I was beginning to get worried. Then he asked me if I had recently changed things around in my home. I had moved some furniture between the living room and my bedroom a few months ago. He said that was a good thing, that I changed the flow of my home. Okay. Oh yeah, he also said I would be going to Florida. Since I have absolutely no desire to go to Florida, it will be interesting to see if this comes true.

Then he moved on to relationships. He said he sees a strong-willed man (i.e. jerk?) in my future, coming into my life around the same time as my new job and thus, possibly related to the job. He said we really wouldn't be compatible for the long-term. This is kind of scary, because another psychic who did a tarot card reading for me last October as part of the many Halloween festivities in Salem said the same thing - that a man who is all wrong for me will come into my life, and I shouldn't go out with him. Incidentally, the woman who read my cards in October also warned me to get regular checkups for certain cancers that only women get, and one month later a routine mammogram revealed what turned out to be a benign lump. She also told me that I was a writer. How would she know that?! Maybe I should take this as a sign of things to come?

As skeptical as I can be about these things, I know why I got a tarot card reading today. I was anxious to get some sort of validation that a new job will soon be forthcoming. So this reading was quite possibly a temporary panacea to put my mind at ease about being unemployed. Sure, I wasted $20 that would have been better spent on coffee and toilet paper (the two things I most hate to run out of), but if it gives me a little more hope that everything will work out for the best, it was worth it. At least until I run out of toilet paper again.

3 comments:

bye bye bellulah said...

Am with you on the coffee and loo roll. When I was a student I would buy my fags (have long since quit), coffee and loo rolls for the week and then work out how much money I had left over for everything else.

Spooky tarot weirdness! I don't believe but had one for a laugh about 10 years ago. 'Sula' predicted pain and violence and crossroads and changes and all manner of very bad things. I laughed because my life was smooth and trouble-free and yet, it all came true - out of the blue. I changed jobs as she'd said I would although it was the last thing on my mind at the time, and ended up working with a complete nutter who attacked me). Hard to maintain disbelief in the face of 'evidence'.

Don't wish to butt into your life, but if I was still a bookshop manager and someone who'd applied sent me a follow-up letter after a week or so I'd be inclinded to pay more attention. Good luck x

Nowhere Girl said...

It's a good think I don't smoke, otherwise I'd have even less money left, after rationing my money for cigs.

How eerie that 'Sula's" predictions came true. I guess maybe there are some things in this world that can't easily be explained by logic or reason.

I appreciate the advice about following up with the bookstore! As a matter of fact, I'm going to stop in and see if the manager is in this weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Salem and Tarot card readers. Two great things that go great together.

I love psychics, I still read my horoscope... I don't know why but I like to believe that some of us are able to touch the mysteries of the universe.