Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Three Days and Counting



Actually, it's 2 days, 4 hours and 20 minutes until midnight of Saturday, July 21st. That's when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will be released. My local independent bookstore is having a day-long series of Potter-related events on Friday, ending with the release of the book at midnight. And being the nerd girl that I am, I've pre-purchased a copy and will be picking it up at 12:01 am Saturday morning, along with many other Harry Potter fans. Of course, I'm not completely geeky -- I could show up dressed as a character in the book -- but I won't. That would just be weird, although I could very easily make a Hogwarts school uniform out of the grey flannel J. Crew mini-kilt, grey cardigan sweater, and white button-down shirt that happen to be a part of my wardrobe anyway. And I do own a magic wand (it was a gift, okay?). The British edition of the book is expected to be 608 pages, while the American edition is 784 pages. Why is that? It's the same book, after all. Does the American edition have bigger type? Is the eyesight of American children collectively that much worse than that of British kids? (I blame video games). I love the American editions if only for the wonderful illustrations by Mary GrandPre (see above) used by Scholastic, the American publisher of the Harry Potter books. They're charming, and they appeal to both the children and adults who read the book. The British publishers release two versions of each book, one for children, and one for adults with a less juvenile-looking cover.

I saw "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" last Thursday. I enjoyed it, but I left the theater feeling that something was missing. I was a bit disappointed that some of my favorite scenes from the book were cut from the movie. Oh well. That's not going to stop me from seeing it again this Sunday. Then again, maybe I should just stay home all day Sunday and start reading "Deathly Hollows." Now I'm conflicted.

4 comments:

bye bye bellulah said...

I felt something was missing from HPATOOTP, too. I'd like Tonks to have been featured more, I really like her as a new character. My flatmate will be working at an HP bookshop party that night and I've asked him to bring a copy home for me so I can get started first thing in the morning!

Am sad that it's the last one, but if it wasn't a finite series I don't think it'd be the phenomenon that it's become.

DanProject76 said...

I did the midnight launch of Harry P 7 in my shop... bloody hell!

I think I shall be having scary flashbacks all day today. I only had 4 hours of consecutive sleep and am going back to work in a bit.

Not looked at the book though. Enjoy yours!

Klearchos said...

Thanks for the permission. I made the translation and it is already posted...

Steerforth said...

Don't mention the 'P' word! I'm suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome after last week's launch.