Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Okie Dokie Pig in a Pokie



If you've ever seen The League of Gentlemen, a twisted but really rather funny British sketch comedy show from a few years back, you'll understand the title of this post. If you haven't, allow me to explain.

One of the recurring sketches in TLOG takes place at the "New Deal Job Seekers Club," an unemployment program in the fictional and very bizarre town in which all of the characters of the show reside. Pauline, the Restart Officer (above), starts class every time with a cheery "Okie dokie pig in a pokie" before proceeding to insult and undermine the "dole scum" she is supposed to be helping. It's funnier than I'm making it sound, believe me. The reason why I mention this is that presently I find myself in the same situation as the Job Seekers (though I'd hardly call myself "scum"!). And today, I've just received an email rejection letter for a job that I applied for but didn't really want. And they never even called me in for an interview.

It's particularly galling to be rejected for a job that one was merely "settling" for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love Pauline:

"Everything I know about people I learned from pens. If they don't work, you shake them. And if they still don't work, you chuck them away. Bin 'em."